Re: [vox-tech] Re: linux pre questions

If your laptop demands aren't great, there is some fantasic bargains on eBay for not quite current machines that make great tinker toys.  IBM P200, with CD, sound cards, 5G HD, 64M for around $200.   All Linux compatible.  Much cheaper than $2k+.
Don

>>> "Tom2" <Hwy101@accessbee.com> 08/25 1:28 PM >>>
<> Thanks for putting my post in the que - Sorry I didn't realize about the subscription - I was anxious <>
 * * *
> not really.  linux runs on just about anything.  there are a few sound cards
> that don't have drivers, but they're rare.  i think the alsa website has a
> list.
Thanks - I will look at 'alsa' web sit - there were some dealers that would sell bare box with Linuxe installed ($250+), are they still around? (it would get me up and going quick - the I come to and 'Install-fest' with my other machines, one at a time...
> what you need to watch out for the most are:
> 1. laptops.  linux installs on all of them, but some laptops are friendlier
>    than others.  look to the linux-laptops website.  (bill, we should have a
>    links page for canonical linux websites).
You must read minds - I have been looking at laptops now that they are getting to be afforable - but will probably wait a bit more yet.
> 2. modems.  most pci modems are winmodems.  you don't really want winmodems.
Yup - they don't seem to be good for anything - I have a couple of Hayes and a USR (that I have to upgrade soon as I find my files -they owe me)
> 3. parallel port scanners - some are supported, some aren't.  the sane site
>    should have a list.
Have a HP USB and a Acer Serial Scanner (will be on different machine on the network)
> can't think of anything else.  anyway, these are the 3 things that come to
> mind.  anything else should be no problem.
>
> most important tip:
> when buying parts or a whole computer, you should ALWAYS make sure you get
> $$ back guarentee.  whether you actually install linux or not.
Yes (at Fry's you leanr this early on)...
> > 2) Am thinking of a new mother board, any considerations?
> > (Have a 733 mhz that I'd like to be a Workstation for now)
>
> depends.  what processor do you have (want to get)?

Have: Intel PIII - 733mhz, 384 (3-128s) Mem, 2 HDs (1 new) - Crashed 98
         Intel PII   - 166mhz,    32 Mem,  Win95 -HD was 5 gigs that
         was split (had a Linux that was not good, so took off)

The mother board for the 733 has no name that I can readially find -
gold in color it says it is 2000 compliant, 5 pci slots, 1 ISA, 1
AGP... Would, of course, like to upgrade it with it's present stuff
(may have to bring to Install-fest and see if possible) but will look
at new mother board for it as long as I can use my P133 memory...
Would like to look at making the P166 a Server for the Network, once I
get a stable Lunux machine up and start finding replcement programs for
the things I do on the different machines I have.

Thanks Pete/Everyone for Advice/Tips! Hope I don't sound to Lost/Newbie

Tom (coming to next meetins Gimp II & Samba) -may have Friend coming...

   __o      Traveling down
 _'\<,_     Life's Bike Trail...
(*)/ (*)    Do you like Biking?
http://members.accessbee.com/hwy101