January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Newbie NIC diagnostics

Donald Dunn wrote:

> Looking for an source of info (online preferred) for diagnosing Linux
> ethernet,TCP/IP NIC configurations.  I could just ask my question,
> but I'd rather do it myself.

Donald Becker maintains a pretty cool diagnostic for the NE2000
and clones, at http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

If you know which NIC and chipset you've got, it'll be
much easier to help you. The lspci utility might help
with identifying the card.

A comprehensive catalog of tools for maintaining networks:
http://www.alternic.org/rfcs/rfc1100/rfc1147.txt

Basic Linux networking overviews, essential basic info
on setting up and maintaining networks:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO

The "NAG" : Linux Network Admin's Guide:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag/nag.html

Good luck,
Chuck Polisher
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see
that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.