Re: [vox-tech] Newbie NIC diagnostics

begin: Donald Dunn <VNDDUNN@lottery.state.ca.us> quote
> Looking for an source of info (online preferred) for diagnosing Linux ethernet,TCP/IP NIC configurations.  I could just ask my question, but I'd rather do it myself.

i don't know if there is one.  that's an awful big catagory you're talking
about.  can you narrow this down a bit?

is the card itself not pinggable?  (a possible driver misconfiguration)

are you playing around with a firewall (an ipchains/iptable misconfiguration)

can you ping the card?  (an if(mis)config)

is this a masqed machine?  (possible masq problem)

each one of these has an associated howto or faq.  that would be where you
could get info about diagnosing the problemm.

using tcpdump is invaluable here.  i think the best tutorial here is lots of
reading and experience.   i don't know if anyone has ever flowcharted this
sort of thing.  there are so many different variables...   but if it's been
done, i'd like to see it too!

pete