January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Re: linux pre questions

begin: Tom2 <Hwy101@accessbee.com> quote

> > 3. parallel port scanners - some are supported, some aren't.  the sane site
> >    should have a list.
> Have a HP USB and a Acer Serial Scanner (will be on different machine on the network)

a scanner that hooks up the serial port?   wow!

> > > 2) Am thinking of a new mother board, any considerations?
> > > (Have a 733 mhz that I'd like to be a Workstation for now)
> >
> > depends.  what processor do you have (want to get)?
>
> Have: Intel PIII - 733mhz, 384 (3-128s) Mem, 2 HDs (1 new) - Crashed 98
>          Intel PII   - 166mhz,    32 Mem,  Win95 -HD was 5 gigs that
>          was split (had a Linux that was not good, so took off)

then i can't help here.  right now, i know a lot about AMD mother boards
since i just recently bought one.  i've sworn off of intel until their prices
become competitive with amd.

> The mother board for the 733 has no name that I can readially find -
> gold in color it says it is 2000 compliant, 5 pci slots, 1 ISA, 1
> AGP... Would, of course, like to upgrade it with it's present stuff
> (may have to bring to Install-fest and see if possible) but will look
> at new mother board for it as long as I can use my P133 memory...

when you say "upgrade", do you mean a mobo+cpu upgrade?

if not, then it's almost pointless to upgrade unless you know
	a. the chipset that the current motherboard uses.
	b. what features the new chipset will give you

in either case, i recommend a lot of research and web surfing before
upgrading a mobo.  took me almost a week to decide which mobo was for me.
and frankly, i'm not sure if foo is still talking to me after all the
questions and pestering i gave him.   ;)

> Would like to look at making the P166 a Server for the Network, once I
> get a stable Lunux machine up and start finding replcement programs for
> the things I do on the different machines I have.

ask away.  there's loads of people here with quite diverse backgrounds.
whatever stuff you use right now, there's a good chance that you can do it
better (and cheaper) on linux.

pete