Re: [vox-tech] Re: linux pre questions

<> Thanks for putting my post in the que - Sorry I didn't realize about the subscription - I was anxious <>
 * * *
> not really.  linux runs on just about anything.  there are a few sound cards
> that don't have drivers, but they're rare.  i think the alsa website has a
> list.
Thanks - I will look at 'alsa' web sit - there were some dealers that would sell bare box with Linuxe installed ($250+), are they still around? (it would get me up and going quick - the I come to and 'Install-fest' with my other machines, one at a time...
> what you need to watch out for the most are:
> 1. laptops.  linux installs on all of them, but some laptops are friendlier
>    than others.  look to the linux-laptops website.  (bill, we should have a
>    links page for canonical linux websites).
You must read minds - I have been looking at laptops now that they are getting to be afforable - but will probably wait a bit more yet.
> 2. modems.  most pci modems are winmodems.  you don't really want winmodems.
Yup - they don't seem to be good for anything - I have a couple of Hayes and a USR (that I have to upgrade soon as I find my files -they owe me)
> 3. parallel port scanners - some are supported, some aren't.  the sane site
>    should have a list.
Have a HP USB and a Acer Serial Scanner (will be on different machine on the network)
> can't think of anything else.  anyway, these are the 3 things that come to
> mind.  anything else should be no problem.
>
> most important tip:
> when buying parts or a whole computer, you should ALWAYS make sure you get
> $$ back guarentee.  whether you actually install linux or not.
Yes (at Fry's you leanr this early on)...
> > 2) Am thinking of a new mother board, any considerations?
> > (Have a 733 mhz that I'd like to be a Workstation for now)
>
> depends.  what processor do you have (want to get)?

Have: Intel PIII - 733mhz, 384 (3-128s) Mem, 2 HDs (1 new) - Crashed 98
         Intel PII   - 166mhz,    32 Mem,  Win95 -HD was 5 gigs that
         was split (had a Linux that was not good, so took off)

The mother board for the 733 has no name that I can readially find -
gold in color it says it is 2000 compliant, 5 pci slots, 1 ISA, 1
AGP... Would, of course, like to upgrade it with it's present stuff
(may have to bring to Install-fest and see if possible) but will look
at new mother board for it as long as I can use my P133 memory...
Would like to look at making the P166 a Server for the Network, once I
get a stable Lunux machine up and start finding replcement programs for
the things I do on the different machines I have.

Thanks Pete/Everyone for Advice/Tips! Hope I don't sound to Lost/Newbie

Tom (coming to next meetins Gimp II & Samba) -may have Friend coming...

   __o      Traveling down
 _'\<,_     Life's Bike Trail...
(*)/ (*)    Do you like Biking?
http://members.accessbee.com/hwy101