Re: [vox-tech] Another TeX question

begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:30:55PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:25:05PM -0700, William Kendrick wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Is there any reason anyone can think of why having the above inside a
> > > tabular table would cause the "TEXT TO..." to actually appear as plaintext
> > > versus being encoded into barcodes?
> >
> > Don't know about this particilar package, but try putting the barcode inside
> > a parbox or minipage, then putting that inside the tabular environment.
>
> Neither of these seemed to work (although I just _barely_ know what I'm
> doing in Latex :) )
>
> Pete's "\protect" helped, but now the row in the table (with the bar code) is
> right-justified in a very odd way.

hmmm... it would help if i knew what the output looked like.

also, you cut out the quoted material from your original email, so i don't
know exactly what you were doing (leave quoted material in for technical
discussions!  not cutting text may lead to longish emails, but cutting text
leads to heartache and confusion).

a few suggestions:

1. i don't know which environment you're using (because the text was cut),
but you may want to try the array environment; it's more powerful.  has more
formatting directives for the preamble.

2. if you're desperate to get something working right away, use visual
markup.   xspace will nudge your text into the right position.  i believe it
takes negative arguments also.   hskip/hspace might work here too.

3. do you know all the justification preambles for whatever environment
you're using?

4. the stuff you're doing right now falls squarely under "intermediate
latex".  this is precisely the kind of thing you need "the latex companion"
for.  it's crazy to do this kind of stuff without a copy of the the latex
companion by your side.  the companion isn't meant to replace lamport's book;
it's meant to be a companion guide.  it illustrates addons, features and
extensions which are standard latex (in the sense that they come with all
latex installations on linux) but aren't part of latex proper (which is well
documented by lamport's book).  it's one of those books that you'll find
yourself constantly referring to (kind of like the camel book).

5. you may be able to "cheat" by using a justified parbox.

6. comp.text.tex has some really hardcore people who answer all the tough
nuts that can't be cracked.  those guys are truly amazing, and they usually
get back to you within a day.

i suggest getting a copy of the companion.  it's a GREAT book.  IMHO, more
important than lamport's book.  lamport takes you so far, but for production
latex code, the companion is essential.

if you want to do advanced latex, david soloman wrote "the advanced texbook",
but this book is even beyond me...

btw, the parbox/minipage idea couldn't work.  basically, you want to protect
fragile commands from getting eaten up by moving commands.  boxes won't do
that.

if you send me some code, if i can compile it, i'll take a look (but i'm not
promising anything! ;) ).  sometimes latex can give you extremely great
output in a matter of minutes.  the perfect output can take hours and even
days!!!

pete