[vox-tech] Another TeX question

I was working on a chunk of Latex to be parsed by Template-Toolkit
to build code39 barcodes.  Someone at my work pointed out a TeX macro
which does the job (more easily, and I'm assuming it's been tested and
is accurate :) )

It works like so:

  \begincodethirtynine{TEXT TO TURN TO BARCODE}\endcodethirtynine

Is there any reason anyone can think of why having the above inside a
tabular table would cause the "TEXT TO..." to actually appear as plaintext
versus being encoded into barcodes?

In other words, when I throw the above somewhere in the Latex code that
isn't in the table, it comes out fine:

But when it's in the table, it looks like this:

 || | TEXT TO TURN TO BARCODE || |

(The barcodes on the left/right are the required starting/stopping codes,
which the TeX macro is somehow getting to appear just fine)

Here's a snippet:

  \begin{tabular*}{3.25in}[t]{|llll|r@{:}}%
  \multicolumn{4}{|l|}{\begincodethirtynine{ TEST }\endcodethirtynine}&\\%
  \end{tabular*}%

Thx for any tips!