Re: [vox-tech] Perl builder

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, andy huang wrote:
> i was trying this nice software, but whenever i tried to execute a cgi
> program, it stated
>
> "unrecognized character @ in the file example.cgi line 1
> translation aborted due to syntax error"
>
> what wrong is it?
> i was just trying to run the tutorial example and it didn't work
> this first line is like
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
> anyone who has exp with this program please help thanx

Don't recall this stated error, but you may want to check out some
readme's on configuring your web server to deal with server parsed cgi
based on extention/mime type.

If using apache, it has nice docs on cgis and enabling modules (if
used) and handlers with .htaccess files assuming you have overides
allowed for the trees loaded in the httpd.conf. (Their docs will go into
great deatils on these.)

Do other "scripts" of cgis or shtml etc get parsed as they should from
that served directory? How about scripts that are *.pl ?

Write some basic hello world scripts and see if they work from the shell
with the proper html formatting for a document being returned, if not,
then fix that and then look at them from the web... (stuff covered in many
CGI howto.)

-ME