[vox-tech] Linux (and LUGOD) Newbie Again (with the same damn issue)

[vox-tech] Linux (and LUGOD) Newbie Again (with the same damn issue)

Peter asked why I need to keep Windows on my box.  Unfortunately, the
company I work for is primarily MS based, and most of the software that we
develop is written for Windows... and since I work at home a couple of days
per month, I need to keep Windoze around.  Also, I need to keep it for my
wife's benefit, since she occasionally works on my computer and has no use
for Linux whatsoever.  Heh.

I am still trying to get a boot disk created for my Linux box... since the
last one got corrupted.  As I mentioned, I tried to run vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda3 from the installation CD-ROM but that got me nowhere because
when I booted it that way, the kernel couldn't cope with MSDOS or VFAT file
systems.

The last attempt was to go through the "Upgrade" process from the
installation disks, since I knew that would get me to a screen where I
could create a boot disk.  The boot disk it created, unfortunately, didn't
work.

This is really frustrating, because, as I said, this thing worked fine last
week.

Any ideas, anyone?  I'd rather not have to reinstall the OS, if I can avoid
it.  I'd also like to avoid zarking my MBR.  I'm happier running this as a
system which requires a boot disk rather than as a dual-boot system.

Richard
(Who got into trouble at work today because some code containing the word
"smeg" was inadvertently checked in to our CVS repository...)

Sliante,

Richard S. Crawford (mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com)
http://www.mossroot.com/
AIM: Buffalo2K
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry