Re: [vox-tech] New to Linux and trying to learn how to compile

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Vern Southern wrote:

> Hell to all...
>
> It has been quite a while since I have tried to
> compile a program (1995), and the compiler I used was
> QuickBASIC 4.5, so please understand when I ask all
> the wrong questions.

You are doing pretty well. Don't worry.

> I have installed Mandrake 8.0, KDE version 2.1.1,
> Release 2.4.3-20mdk on my computer. (My First Linux
> Install)

Sounds like you have installed the KDE "runtime".

> I have been trying to learn how to compile using a
> linux system. I downloaded two games that I have
> played before, KPOKER from
> http://kpoker.sourceforge.net/ and KROGUE from
> http://ksi.ii.uj.edu.pl/krogue/. Of course is was the
> DOS versions of these games that I use to play.

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/kde/stable/2.1.1/distribution/rpm\
/Caldera/eDesktop24/RPMS/kdegames/kpoker-2.1.1-1.i386.html

is precompiled.  Didn't see a precompiled version of krogue.

> I had several error messages come up during
> compilation and realized that some of the packages
> needed were not installed by default during the
> Mandrake setup so I install every package that looked
> relevant.

Somehow I think you missed installing the KDE "development"
packages?

> Judging by the error message I got from KPOKER I must
> need to install some others. It seems that KROGUE
> needs me to let it know what PATH to follow to find
> (Headers). I'm not sure what path it needs.

Ordinarily, when you install the development packages, they should
fix these things.  About the only problem you may encounter is needing to
re-login to get a shell that sees these changes.

[...]

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing