[vox-tech] New to Linux and trying to learn how to compile

[vox-tech] New to Linux and trying to learn how to compile

Hell to all...

It has been quite a while since I have tried to
compile a program (1995), and the compiler I used was
QuickBASIC 4.5, so please understand when I ask all
the wrong questions.

I have installed Mandrake 8.0, KDE version 2.1.1,
Release 2.4.3-20mdk on my computer. (My First Linux
Install)

I have been trying to learn how to compile using a
linux system. I downloaded two games that I have
played before, KPOKER from
http://kpoker.sourceforge.net/ and KROGUE from
http://ksi.ii.uj.edu.pl/krogue/. Of course is was the
DOS versions of these games that I use to play.

I had several error messages come up during
compilation and realized that some of the packages
needed were not installed by default during the
Mandrake setup so I install every package that looked
relevant.

Judging by the error message I got from KPOKER I must
need to install some others. It seems that KROGUE
needs me to let it know what PATH to follow to find
(Headers). I'm not sure what path it needs.

Below I have listed the error code first, just in case
anyone has seen them before. The program code where
the errors occurred is listed below the error
messages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Southern
Email - vbs4257@yahoo.com
Personal web site - http://www.geocities.com/vbs4257/

KPOKER ERROR MESSAGE:
--------------------
configure: error: QT1.2 $ac_qt_notfound not found.
Please check your installation!

KROGUE ERROR MESSAGE:
--------------------
configure: error: in the prefix, you've chosen, are no
KDE headers installed. This will fail. So, check this
please and use another prefix!

KPOKER PROGRAM CODE FROM CONFIGURE FILE:
---------------------------------------
if test "$ac_qt_includes" = NO || test
"$ac_qt_libraries" = NO; then
  ac_cv_have_qt="have_qt=no"
  ac_qt_notfound=""
  if test "$ac_qt_includes" = NO; then
    if test "$ac_qt_libraries" = NO; then
      ac_qt_notfound="(headers and libraries)";
    else
      ac_qt_notfound="(headers)";
    fi
  else
    ac_qt_notfound="(libraries)";
  fi

  { echo "configure: error: QT1.2 $ac_qt_notfound not
found. Please check your installation! " 1>&2; exit 1;
};
else
  have_qt="yes"
fi

KROGUE PROGRAM CODE FROM CONFIGURE FILE:
---------------------------------------
if eval "test \"\${ac_cv_have_kde+set}\" = set"; then
  echo $ac_n "(cached) $ac_c" 1>&6
else
  #try to guess kde locations

if test -z ""; then

kde_incdirs="/usr/lib/kde/include
/usr/local/kde/include /usr/kde/include
/usr/include/kde /usr/include /opt/kde/include
$x_includes $qt_includes"
test -n "$KDEDIR" && kde_incdirs="$KDEDIR/include
$KDEDIR $kde_incdirs"
kde_incdirs="$ac_kde_includes $kde_incdirs"

kde_incdir=NO
for i in $kde_incdirs;
do
  for j in ksock.h;
  do
    if test -r "$i/$j"; then
      kde_incdir=$i
      break 2
    fi
  done
done

ac_kde_includes="$kde_incdir"

if test -n "$ac_kde_includes" && test ! -r
"$ac_kde_includes/ksock.h"; then
  { echo "configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers
installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!" 1>&2;
exit 1; }
fi