Re: [vox-tech] ISO8859-1 font problem

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 11:28:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> matt, when was the last time you updated your system?  it's my understanding
> that sid regularly breaks for short periods of time.

I update my system pretty much every day.  Last update was five minutes ago.
I suppose something could be screwed up in the unstable tree right now,
but I've been using sid for about a year now and I've experienced almost
no problems.

> anyway, without X running, from console, do:
>
> X -probeonly 2>X.err
>
> (yes, that's one dash.  why?  i dunno!)
>
> look for error messages.  i believe this might be kept (also) in
> /var/log/xdm.log, although why it's called "xdm" is beyond me.  another
> wierdness.

No errors or warnings.  (btw, /var/log/XFree86.0.log is the file that
this is stored in).

> also, go to your font directories and make sure that that "fonts.alias" and
> "fonts.dir" exist.  run 'mkfontdir *' if not.

Yeah, fonts.alias and fonts.dir exist in all the font directories...

I've never really paid much attention to how X fonts work, so I have
no idea where to start looking for the source of this problem.  I guess
I'll just have to wait for a while and see if any new sid updates make
the problem go away.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

--