Re: [vox-tech] LUGOD Newbie Seeks Help

begin: Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> quote

> I just found out about LUGOD yesterday afternoon.  Although I lived in
> Davis for 15 years, I now live in Dixon. I hope I still qualify for
> membership.  ;)

yup.

> I'm having some very frustrating issues with my RH7.1 installation no
> longer being able to recognize VFAT or MSDOS filesystems (it all came about
> because of a dead boot disk).  Is this list an appropriate forum to get
> help with this issue?

you really haven't told us anything.  you really need to give way more
information when asking for help.  at a bare minimum, you need to give:

	what exactly are you doing?  give the commands issued if appropriate

	what error messages are you getting?

from what little i have to go on, follow these steps:

1. see if vfat and msdos are compiled in your kernel

	# grep -i /proc/ksyms msdos
	# grep -i /proc/ksyms vfat

   you should see symbols that define things like reading, making
   directories, deleting directories, etc.

2. if you suspect that vfat and msdos aren't built directly in your kernel,
   you need to make sure they're being pulled in by modprobe.  see if they've
   been linked into your kernel by using lsmod.  you should see something
   like:

   # lsmod
   Module                  Size    Used by
   vfat                    foo     bar
   msdos                   foobar  barfoo

3a. if you don't see msdos or vfat in the kernel, look through
   /var/log/messages for errors reported by modprobe:

	# cat /var/log/messages | grep -i modprobe | sed -e '/vfat|msdos/p'

   for instance.  this searches the file /var/log/messages for all (case
   insensitive) occurances of "modprobe".  from these lines, it returns only
   those lines that contain either vfat or msdos.

 3b. you also may want to make sure the modules exist on your system:

	locate msdos.o | grep lib

   make sure

   /lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/fs/msdos/msdos.o
                  ^
                  |___ this is the current kernel you're using.

   you can see what kernel you're using by using uname -a.

Linux satan 2.4.8 #2 SMP Tue Aug 14 07:26:01 PDT 2001 i686 unknown
              ^
              |____  here

if this doesn't help, please post more info.

pete