Re: [vox-tech] LUGOD Newbie Seeks Help

>Just kidding. :)  Welcome!  How'd you find us, exactly?

Actually, a friend of mine did a search for local Linux users groups and
found the Davis group.  Then he told me about it..

> > I'm having some very frustrating issues with my RH7.1 installation no
> > longer being able to recognize VFAT or MSDOS filesystems (it all came
> about
> > because of a dead boot disk).  Is this list an appropriate forum to get
> > help with this issue?
>
>Yes indeed!  (I'd be answering you right now, if I actually could. ;) )

Heh.  Then here's my question...

About a week ago, the boot disk that I'd been using to boot into the Linux
partition on my RH7.1/Win2k computer got corrupted somehow, and would no
longer let me boot into Linux.  For some reason, I never quite got smart
enough to make a back up of this diskette.

After digging around in the Red Hat website for a couple of days, I was
able to find out that if I booted the computer from the RH installation
CD-ROM and typed "vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3" I could boot into Linux.  I had
intended to do this just once and then create a new boot disk using the
"mkbootdisk" script.

Now, though, when I boot up from the installation CD-ROM, I get the
following problems:

1.      eth0 can't be initialized (though that might just be network
         setup issues that I introduced)

2.      lp0 can't be found (probably related to 1)

3.      VFAT and MSDOS filesystem types are not supported by my kernel
         (2.4.2-2BOOT).

I'd like to avoid re-installing Linux on this computer (I'm afraid of
wiping out my MBR as I've done to other computers in the past).

Any thoughts?  Anyone?  HELP!!!

>Good luck!  And again, welcome to the group!
>
>-bill!

Thanks.  :-D

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K
invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"