Re: [vox-tech] Question on CDROM compatibility during install

Re: [vox-tech] Question on CDROM compatibility during install

thanks to everyone.  Found a Mitsumi among my many machines
and the install went flawlessly.  Will still check into the suggestions
here to learn more.

Thanks,

Don Dunn

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:31:28AM -0700, Donald Dunn wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Mandrake SNF the firewall Linux on an Intel box.
> > The boot disk gives me a message that no CD-ROM is found.
> > I am presented with a list of only 10 specific CD-ROM's and
> > also a "IDE CD'.  When I try these using "Autodetect"
> > all come back with device not found.  There is an
> > option to add additional information.  I don't see
> > in the doc what I can add here.  I have tested this
> > on a number of PC's at home.   All same results.
> >
> > Is there a way to get generic CD-ROM's to work?
>
> Generic cdrom = ATAPI (IDE). It should be a simple matter of 'modprobe
> ide-cd'. If the kernel doesn't detect the cdrom you may have one of the
> dreaded non-atapi, non-scsi drives, which use various proprietary, bizarre
> interfaces. They were quite common years ago. Is this an old machine?

see the first paragraph of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom/ide-cd for a
list of proprietary interfaces for cdroms.  from memory, this includes
creative, mitsumi and aztech.

i got the creative one to work under linux.  once.  they're fit to be thrown
out.

> Many of these drives are supported; check Linuxdoc for info. You may be
> better off ordering a cheap IDE cdrom, though, if you value your time highly.
>
> A kernel log from the failed install may be useful if you can post it.

yes.  see /var/log/messages.

and why didn't you post what type of CD reader you have?  seems like necessary
info to help diagnose the problem.

lastly, are you installing a firewall system?  lrp might be in a state of
chaos right now, but those guys are the people who think about firewalling
night and day.  they're the experts.  and you can't beat the download times.
lol!

pete