[vox-tech] Perl: Regex if then else

Is there any way (in perl) to do a substitution like if you find this,
replace it with that, else replace it with something else?

For example I have a bunch of lines like:

initial 256
initial 512
initial 1024
initial 2048

I want to match on /initial\s+\d+/ and replace 256 with 4092 but replace all
the other numbers with 1024.  I don't know (ahead of time) what the numbers
are, I just know I want to replace a specific number with X and the rest
with Y.

I tried building a hash like:
%replace = (526=>'4092')
and then do:

s/initial\s+(\d+)/initial $replace{$1}/g
but obviously it fails as soon as it finds a key that doesn't exist, but its
sorta what I want

Does this make sense
Jay

Jay Strauss