Re: [vox-tech] ram question

dual athlon is great, even my 1G is pretty snappy,
however, i thought about going dual a while back, but
read varius reports that i could realistically only
expect between a 5-30% performance boost. I opted for
a faster processor and more memory (a *lot* more). In
addition to Linux, I run Win2K which can take
advantage of as much ram as you throw at it. Anywho,
for some purposes an on-board RAID solution with
dual-striped (fast- 7200, perhaps a couple of IBM
DeathStars...) can significantly increase performance.
For a dedicated server, dual processors are definitely
*a good thing*, for apps, which constantly access
disk, striping can be *very good*. I do a lot of
Desktop Publishing type stuff, so... Most of the time
on a "single user" machine, the processor has *a lot*
of idle time anyway, so two idle processors instead of
one does not represent to me a significant advantage.
Just a few thoughts (and I am not a gamer and don't
run a server, so your needs may vary).

ERic