Re: [vox-tech] Mandrake 8.0 and ADSL

Hi Ashwini,

I have a very similar setup.  I am currently writing this message using
the Netgear RT314 router with no problems.  Well, there was an initial
problem: it took too long for AT&T to reinitialize me!  I think it took
about 15 minutes before I could even ping the gateway on their side!
I'm successfully getting 1005/765/1091 Kbps thruput using the 2wire.com
bandwidth meter.

There are only a few differences between my setup and the default setup
outlined in the quick setup guide.  One is that I'm using a static IPs for
the systems on my LAN rather than using the DHCP server built into the
RT314.  Also, all my systems use the ISP's DNS servers rather than the
router (the quick start guide tells you to point your DNS server to the
router, but that may only work when you run the router as a DHCP client in
regards to the ISP).  I also input my own firewall rules quite similar to
the ones found in the guide on the CD that comes with the router (look for
a firewall.html, I think).

Here's what my static route menu looks like, if you think that's helpful:
                         Menu 12 - IP Static Route Setup

                    1. default
                    2. ________
                    3. ________
                    4. ________
                    5. ________
                    6. ________
                    7. ________
                    8. ________

                       Menu 12.1 - Edit IP Static Route

                    Route #: 1
                    Route Name= default
                    Active= Yes
                    Destination IP Address= 0.0.0.0
                    IP Subnet Mask= 0.0.0.0
                    Gateway IP Address= XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (my gateway)
                    Metric= 2
                    Private= No

I don't know what to say other than your Mandrake/Win machine should point
to the ISP's DNS server rather than your router.

There's an non-critical firmware upgrade up to 3.25 on Netgear's site,
which could help or hurt you.  You might want to have a serial cable handy
in case the upgrade gets botched (I'm 1-2 in that department: I updated a
friend's router with no problems, but when I did it to mine, I luckily had
a serial cable to reupload the firmware).

I don't know what to say.  I'm not getting any dropped packets:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:192.168.1.21  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec00

Foo

P.S.  After re-reading the message below, you might have the router active
as a DHCP server for your LAN while on your Mandrake system, you specified
a static IP.  That might confuse the router, since it thinks it's supposed
to dish out the IPs.

HTH!!!!