This is my problem:
Just installed Mandrake and everything is working
fine except my internet connection.
I am behind a Netgear router,
have a static IP (no PPPoE, nothing). So in the Network properties I put my IP
as 192.168.0.5 and gateway 192.168.0.1 (router), subnet 255.255.255.0 and DNS
as 192.168.0.1 (pointing to the router).
Iin Netscape, all websites
load sloooowly, as if I was on a 1K modem. Actually, the page doesn't load at
all, it stalls. This is not a problem with Netscape only but also Mozilla and
Konqueror.The network is alive since I can ping websites. But there is
significant packet loss (18%, 20%, its bad). I changed my RWIN to 37690 from the
default 65000 something and the MTU to 1500, no effect.
If I pull out the router and plug the modem
directly into the NIC (Netgear FA 312), it works absolutely fine. Also when a
web page is loading or I am pinging some site, if I run ifconig, it will show
something like the following (just an example):
RX packets:239359 errors:3456 dropped:0
TX packets:9886 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
Needless to say when the modem is plugged in, there
are 0 errors and there is no packet loss.
I'd be grateful if someone could suggest a fix.