RE: [vox-tech] HD xfer

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, ME wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Foo Lim wrote:
> > I called WD tech support today, and the person mentioned that perhaps my
> > drive cable was bad.  He also mentioned that my controller may be bad
> > also, but that's unlikely, since I have a Maxtor hooked up as slave
> > without any problems.
> >
> > He suggested I turn on my system without cables and see if it still
> > clicks.  If it doesn't, then I should get a new cable, which I will have
> > handy.  If it does, he seemed willing to give me a RMA, since it's still
> > under warranty.
> >
> > Let's hope for the best when I try this on Monday.
>
> If you have not opened up the case to verify the sound is coming from the
> HD itself, I have seen cases where one of the drive cables, power cables
> or sound cables is barely touching the FAN on the power supply or CPU and
> *that* is the actual source of the sound. I was working on the assumption
> that your knew it was coming from the HD. :-/

If the cable is bad, then the HD control signals may be noisy, which could
trigger inappropriate reactions in the hard disk, emanating as sound from
the drive itself.  I think it far more likely that if the noise is a
result of drive problems, then normal signals would be trigger abnormal
behavior, and the exercise of listening to the drive with the cable
disconnected becomes a pointless exercise in misdirecting the blame. Just
switch the cables to test the bad cable theory.

> Sorry about that.
>
> As for bad controller, In the many, many machines I have ever fixed,
> examined, setup, etc. I have only had to fix 2 failed controllers: one was
> integrated and the other was external "VLB". On the other hand, the number
> of failed drives has been in double digits somewhere. On the cables being
> bad? Never found that to be the case, but it is a possibility. Less remote
> if the system has functioned fine and then just suddenly started having
> problems.

I have had cables go bad when the get caught by a sliding case as I close
it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing