Re: [vox-tech] HD xfer

more on this...

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, ME wrote:
> Not sure what the "bug" was. I have used the tar method on a number of
> transfers, and it has worked AFAIK for them.
[chop]
> What was the bug they write about? Not sure. Could be a...
[chop]

A bug with tar bugged me, so I searched for examples...

Found a recent post made on this elsewhere.
( http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2001/03/19/0003.html )

The device special directory contains a number of special device files
(see man mknod) such as character, block, fifo/pipe etc special
dvices. Each has a major and minor number. The major number is often
assigned to a device class. (Example "scsi disk") The minor is often
assigned to separate one device in a class from another device in the same
class.

ever do:
# ls -l /dev/sd* |less
?

Notice how the first column of numbers after the user/group name, but
before the date, appears to be the same (for the most part) and the
numbers in the second colums after user/group has changing values? Each
unique major/minor (number in first column/number in second colums) refers
to a specific device. (Meny kernel people were kind-of upset when people
coding USB drivers decided to assign their own major/minor numbers and
this led to some changes in how USB was handeled in 2.4 - dont know much
more about this except some of these issues were resolved in 2.4.)

According to the post made in the above ref-ed URL, there is/was(?) a
problem with GNU tar not properly copying high minor numbers with device
special files.

If the cp -ar handles these device special files properly, then it would
be the better route over tar.

Want to amuse yourself? Look for an application/game called "xcruise". You
can run it within X. It is kind of alike a space exploration game where
you use your mouse to choose a direction in "3d space" and fly around by
pressing one mouse button to accellerate and the other to
reverse. Galaxies (directories) appear, and you may travel into them. Once
you arrive, the galaxy may open to expose stars (files) sub
galaxyies/star systems. symbolic links across trees or across the system
are "wormholes".

Why do I mention this? Oh! When you run xcruise, go check out the device
special directory. :-D

xcruise does not appear to be an admin tool (except keeping the admin
amused and away from deleting users.) It is more of a toy or game, but
still fun.

-ME