Re: [vox-tech] HD xfer

begin: Foo Lim <fwlim@ucdavis.edu> quote
> Hi all,
>
> My HD is on the fritz.  It's clicking quite loudly, and even though the
> Western Digital diagnostics program says there's nothing wrong, I am going
> to transfer everything over to another drive.  I'll be following the
> guide mini-HOWTO for hard drive upgrading:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
>
> But I have a few questions, specifically in regards to the contents in the
> actual copying part:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/copy.html
>
> 1. I'll probably be booting from a Redhat 6.2 CD and copying one partition
> at a time, so I guess I can use the first option?
> # [cdrom's root] cp -ax /mnt/old-disk-part1 /mnt/new-disk-part1

yup.

> 2. Would the -x option also copy the stuff in /proc?

/proc has no files per se.  each file you see is a representation of data
within the kernel.  when the kernel doesn't run, /proc is empty.  when the
kernel boots, certain codes register a /proc file, so it's built up each and
every time you reboot the system.

> 3. What was the bug in the tar method?  Also, what was the tar method?

don't know; sorry!

> 4. Any other caveats I should know about before I begin?

i believe we might have a few posts about this in the vox-tech mail archives.
you might want to check there.

and while you're at it, why don't you write up a section on transfering hard
drives for the lugod faq?   :-)

pete