[vox-tech] bootable business card: linuxcare and lnx-bbc

----- Forwarded message from Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> -----

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:32:35 -0700
From: Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>
To: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
Cc: lnx-bbc@zork.net
Subject: Re: lnx-bbc vs linuxcare bbc?

Peter Jay Salzman writes:

> dear all,
>
> i stumbled across lnx-bbc quite by accident.
>
> i realize that lnx-bbc is forked from the linuxcare project and that
> linuxcare is kind of in a state of entropy right now, but can someone list
> some of the differences between the latest versions of both BBC's?
>
> as far as my eye can see, there doesn't seem to be much different between the
> two, although i'm looking at it from a user's POV, not a developer's.
>
> i also found lubbock, but it seems that the lubbock project has gone into
> hibernation...
>
> could you please cc me any replies?

I don't know what's going on with the Linuxcare BBC.  The latest
public release was 1.6.

LNX-BBC is about to do its first public release, 1.618.

[PETER'S NOTE: IT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.  I BURNED A COPY]

Here is what I have so far changed, or documented from others' changes,
in LNX-BBC 1.618 compared to Linuxcare BBC 1.6.

(Note that there are also other changes that are still being worked on
and have to be merged/documented.)

Version 1.618 - LNX-BBC project
-------------------------------
Version 1.618 is the first forked release of the independent LNX-BBC project.

added bvi (binary editor that feels like vi)
added md5tee (in-line MD5 checksum a pipe without saving to disk)
added chntpw (change Windows NT passwords -- though we still can't write
  ntfs)
added zless (view compressed text files)
added xxd (hex dump and undump)
added tracesroute (can display ASN in traceroute)
added xauth
stripped .note and .comment sections from ELF binaries per Juraj's suggestion
added fgrep and egrep, which hadn't worked (needed new binaries)
reworked root filesystem image (no user-visible changes, except programs in
  /bin.defunct will work now if you happen to want to run them)
added memtest86 in boot image (test system RAM)
added smbmount and new smbclient from Ian (mount Windows-style SMB/CIFS shares)
removed Mozilla
added dsniff and related software and libraries (use with caution)
added openssl default configuration file
upgraded glibc to 2.2
added robotfindskitten
added ncp, npush, npoll (convenient unauthenticated file transfer over LANs)
upgraded cloop driver to cloop 0.6 from Klaus Knopper
added ttcp (test network bandwidth)
added fb (file browser/binary editor)
updated e2fsprogs to 1.22
added dialog (display dialog boxes from shell scripts)
added tftp client
disabled bash completions ("source /etc/bash_completion" to get them back)
added ext2end (ext2 filesystem extender, somewhat like other resizers)
updated reiserfsprogs to current (3.x.0j)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull

----- End forwarded message -----