Re: [vox-tech] avoiding recursive readline commands in .inputrc

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:19:42AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> in bash, i'd like to map the uparrow key to "escape uparrow".  the trouble is
> that there doesn't seem to be a way to make readline avoid the infinite
> recursion that results.  specifically, i'm trying to do:
>
> $if bash
> "OA": "OA"
> $endif
>
> why?  because i like using vi style editing in bash, but i hate the fact that
> i have to press escape before the uparrow starts showing command history.

Not quite what you want, but my .inputrc does something something close:

	set bell-style visible

	# the following three enable entering international characters
	set meta-flag On
	set convert-meta Off
	set output-meta On

	set editing-mode vi
	"^P": previous-history # that a literal C-P and C-N
	"^N": next-history

Mapping any character whose representation to the terminal begins with escape
disables the real escape key in vi mode. This appears to be a limitation in
how readline parses its input.

--
Henry House