Re: [vox-tech] Phat Linux - is it dead?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Donald Dunn wrote:

> So, is Phat history, or am I firewall blocked?

You would need to check your FW rule to know,  :-/ (more info below)

> Here's the site.  Let me know if someone can get to the download page.
> http://www.phatlinux.com/downloads.html

I can get that page to load, but when I go to try the links to the .zip
files that appaear toi use a pearl redirection script, we get broken
links.

Upon inspection, the first link:
ftp://phatlinux.sourceforge.net/pub/phatlinux/PhatLinux33.zip
reports:
"FTP Error
 Could not login to FTP server" from Netscape
but a shell based ftp as anonymous let me in. Might be a restriction from
their server at sourceforge.

This one appears to use a pear redirector (probably so that the company
may see who has chosen to dl their software as it will show up in a web
log and possibly withing the perl script if that is logged too.)
http://www.phatlinux.com/redirect.pl?ftp://ftp.linux.tucows.com/pub/distributions/mini/Phat/PhatLinux33.zip

By pulling out the redir and limiting to:
ftp://ftp.linux.tucows.com/pub/distributions/mini/Phat/PhatLinux33.zip
We still get the same error, so it is not likely a perl problem :-)
Further examination shows that the tucows server does not have the
"/Phat/PhatLinux33.zip" directory and file path after the :
ftp://ftp.linux.tucows.com/pub/distributions/mini

So theis is a tucows problem. They may have moved files without telling
http://www.phatlinux.com/downloads.html which is a bad thing to do.

Also found similar problems with the other links. the servers of the files
prob moved things around without telling the phatlinux site. (Bad server
site! Baaaaad!)

-ME