January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] Re: audio cd burning

begin: Nicolas Donnelly <nbdonnelly@ucdavis.edu> quote
> Peter,
> Sorry to be oblique. This is what's on my mind:  I just can't fix this
> (unedited output follows)

>  24%input buffer ready.ess to fill input buffer ...
>  25%Performing OPC...
> Sending CUE sheet...
> cdrecord: Track 1 has unknown length.
> cdrecord: Cannot send CUE sheet.
> cdrecord: fifo had 160 puts and 0 gets.
> cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.
>

> nice --18 cdda2wav -D 0,0,0 -B -x -H  -Oraw - | cdrecord dev=0,1,0 -v
> fs=10m speed=4 -eject -dao -audio -

cdrecord is smart enough to recognize wav files and knows how to write them as
well.  no need to use headerless raw audio.  from man cdrecord:

              If a filename ends in .au or .wav the file is  con-
              sidered   to  be  a  structured  audio  data  file.
              Cdrecord assumes that the file in this  case  is  a
              Sun  audio  file  or  a  Microsoft  .WAV  file  and
              extracts the audio data from the files by  skipping
              over  the  non-audio  header  information.

nicolas, try this:

$ mkdir /tmp/mycd
$ cd /tmp/mycd
$ cdparanoia -B -X
$ cdrecord -v -audio dev=foo,bar,foo speed=foobar *.wav

if your drivers are set up correctly, this will work.   note that cdparanoia
is MUCH better at ripping audio than cdda2wav.  it uses "paranoid" and
"extra-paranoid" filters to detect physical imperfections on the cd.

line 3:
in fact, -X means "if you encounter anything which seems like a skip or
imperfection, abort the whole operation".   in fact, you can connect the
cdparanoia line to the cdrecord line with a &&, so if your cd skips during
the ripping, cdrecord won't waste a disk.

-B is much like cdda2wav's batch ripping.  you'll get wav files from this.

line 4:
-v is verbose.  -audio means you're burning audio tracks.

in all cases, never pipe your data to cdrecord.  that's just asking for
trouble.

use the above method, and tell me if this helps.  if not, then something is
wrong with the drivers or modules.

lastly, cdrecord knows about "extra" levels of debug info.  so -vv (and -VV
for scsi command transport info) gives more debugging info than -v (and -V).

hope this helps!   :)

pete