Re: [vox-tech] Problems with GCC (or make?)

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with GCC (or make?)

I generally tend to stay out of compiler problems, and coding as my skills
in this arena are not as good as I would like, and more complete views of
a topic make troubleshooting easier. :-)

Sorry, I have not been paing attention to this thread too much, but have
a simple thought:

Summary of your issue:

1) when you run "./configure" or make "config" or src distros with
autoconf you get a busted process that is incomplete before actual
compilation and linking takes place
2) when you run make on a manually edited Makefile all goes well

Question:
Do you have bash installed and is it a current version? (If you only have
sh (bourne shell, not bourne again shell) then you may have a b0rken
(broken) or incomplete copy and the configure/config scriupt may be
relying upon extended functions not found in sh, but found in bash.

Try getting a new copy of bash (package since you cant "configure" one for
making")

Also, if you can use a trusted system with a working compiler, make a copy
of bash and have it staticly linked. Then copy the binary over to the same
arch system -0 preferrably same kernel version too. Then open a root shell
and keep it open! With another root shell move the old bash to bash.old
and the new bash to the old bash-s location and then mv sh to sh.old and
make a symlink to bash from sh. (you keep the original root shell open to
undo this if you cant log in or other stuff breaks.)

check to see if root is using bash or sh as their default shell
(/etc/passwd should tell you this)

log in with a thrid root shell and type "which bash" and "which sh" the
path they provide *should* point to the new copy of bash you included. If
not, you may have more than one copy of bash and that copy may be causing
problems. whch one that is chosen depend on your search path for
applications. ("echo $PATH" to see if you want)

Log in with a brand new shell now (no "su" or "su -" do a real login with
root. Now try to run the ./configure or make config or whatever from the
src directry.

Also, if that fails, try getting a new gcc package or try compiling a new
gcc once you have a new bash.

I have also found use of an "strace" as root (following child processes
too) can sometimes help me to solve some problems with applications not
running, but be prepared for *lots* of info to pass by your screen.

Re-installing your compiler package and/or installing a newer one may
prove to be the easiest solution as troubleshooting does help you learn a
great deal for long term support, it frequently does not give you instant
gratification over the short term. (IMHO, I would spend lots of time
troubleshooting as the knowledge you gain in the process will help you
over the long term. If you have a deadline, then by all means find a newer
package of bash and gcc and see what happens.)

Hope you can use something here to solve your issue. Sorry if this
suggestion has been offered as I was exercising my short attention span.

-ME