Re: [vox-tech] html question

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> is there a way to tell the browser to keep the page the same, and instead,
> use scrollbars to display the page?

Yes.

(If I were really mean, I would stop my e-mail now and chuckle to myself
;-)

Seriously, you can use directives within each <td> such as height and
width as measured in pixels.

The above taken from my http://www.passwall.com/ banner space as an
example.

If a user shrinks their browser window to a size smaller than the banner,
the table keeps the full size width.

Another example?

I helped a student include a "framed" picture (not talking about "frames"
for the web, but a physical frame around a painting_ by using tables and
control location and placement of words to the right and other nifty
layout-style (not markup-style) tools. I know the code may look a little
messy, it has the advantage of not b0rking the images within the cells if
the page is re-sized. http://valya.passwall.com/

One side note on doing this:
This does go against the grain of HTML as it is supposed to be a Markup
language and allow people to use different browsers, font sizes, and
screen sizes to see it as they would like by browser window size.

I did this because I am a control fanatic and want things just so, but
still know that some of my associates think it is dumb. The non-techie,
non-old-school people that look at these kinds of pages seem to prefer the
page look symmetric and readable over becoming cluttered when the size of
their window is changed. I avoid doing this in places that it does not
botch up the page when the window is resized.

Just make sure that the total of each cell's horizontal width is equal for
each row, and the column's vertial heights are all equal too - or else you
end up with something worse.

Hope this helps...

-ME