Re: [vox-tech] xwindows at startup

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:49:04PM -0700, Ehrhart, Jay wrote:
> I setup a server that automatically boots to Xwindows at startup.  Where do
> I change this setting so that it boots to the command line?

This depends on your distribution. On Debian, xdm is started by a script,
/etc/init.d/xdm. Symbolic links to this script live in the directories
/etc/rcN.d, where N is the runlevel. So if your system starts up to runlevel 2
by default (Debian does this), all the links with names beginning with S (for
start) are called with the 'start' argument. If you don't want xdm to start,
remove the symlink, which will be called /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm. (The number may
vary and serves only to change the ordering.)

If you use a Red Hat derivative, the default runlevel is 3 and there is no
xdm on runlevel 2. To change the default runlevel to 2, edit /etc/inittab to
change the line

	id:3:initdefault:

	id:2:initdefault:

As a third possibility, you could uninstall xdm.

--
Henry House