Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:30:25PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> if i understand you and micah correctly, there's no such language as "SGML".

Correct.
> it's a standard for writing a markup language.  if HTML is a vegetarian pizza,
> and XML is a sausage pizza, then SGML is a recipe for "pizza".

SGML is a set of pre-printed notepads suitable for writing down recipes for
pizza ;-).

> if this is correct, then what did the guy mean when he said my submission
> should be in "SGML"?   is this a way of saying that html is ok, and xml is
> ok, but latex is not ok?

Most likely he meant ``DocBook SGML''.

> is xml == docbook?

No. XML is a simplified SGML.

> what other SGML options do i have besides xml and html?

XML does not belong on this list; see above. I know of DebianDoc, LinuxDoc,
DocBook, and TEI. There are undoubtedly others.

--
Henry House