Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:23:47AM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
[...]
> No.  These are all /target/ formats for SGML processors such as jade.
> DocBook is a purely content-oriented documentation method - more
> content-oriented than LaTeX, which is still a package written in a
> typesetting language (TeX); and so necessarily display-oriented to at
> least some degree.  Converting from LaTeX to SGML is about as
> difficult as converting PostScript to LaTeX.  You'll have to translate
> to SGML by hand.

I disagree. Converting the subset of LaTeX concerned with /semantic markup/
is certainly possible and may be done programatically. Don't know of any tool
that does this, alas. Of course, if you dip into the vast formatting
possibilities that TeX offers, you are on your own.

[...]
> Isn't Henry doing a talk on SGML/XML soon?  I'm sure he'll probably be
> talking about DocBook, since it's probably the single most widely used
> SGML application next to HTML (which is sort of bastardized SGML these
> days).

Not that I know of ;-). I'm certainly willing to take a stap at it though.

--
Henry House