Re: [vox-tech] sgml, xml question

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:08:21AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm about to submit something to linuxdoc.  they want
>
> 	SGML or XML (DocBook). Or Linuxdoc SGML.
>
> for submission.  i should know this, but i'm unsure what SGML and XML are.
> i /think/ they're a generalized html, but other than that, i'm pretty much in
> the dark.

HTML \subset SGML
XML \subset SGML

SGML is a generic markup system (NB not a formatting system; the formatting
engine is not part of the SGML standard). Using a DTD (document type
definition) and some supporting code and user software, SGML may be adapted
into flavours (HTML, DocBook, LinuxDoc, etc) that define structure and
formatting tags.

> what i have is latex source, dvi, postscript and pdf.  does anyone know how i
> can convert a postscript (or latex) format to one of these formats?

The short answer is to use SGMLTools, which is packaged for Debian. You need
to have input files in DocBook format.  I'd be happy to help you convert your
files. Just send the sources on over.

--
Henry House