Re: [vox-tech] debian sources.list

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:07:14AM -0700, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> I think I am just not understanding the man page for sources.list and am
> trying to upgrade some packages on my potato system with newer
> packages.  I cannot seem to get the parameters right to add unstable
> woody or sid.
>
> Can someonet help me out with an explaination and example of there
> sources.list file.

Not much to it, you just need to have the source lines right :-).

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

I suggest you use the testing (woody) sources and compile anything you need
from unstable (sid) using apt-get source --build. This ensures that you get
packages linked against your installed library versions.

Unpredicatable results occur if you have sources of type deb for more than
one distribution. Sources of type deb-src are only used to download source
packages; the newest source package available will be used.

--
Henry House