January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] apt-get sources

Pete, et. al.,
In your message (which I deleted before this question came to mind) you
mentioned that it's probably not a good idea to use the stable, testing
and unstable packages.

How come?

I'm assuming it's the unstable source your questioning, but I was under
the impression that apt-get only fetches the most recent packages from all
the sources. So a most-recent package may come from stable or unstable for
example, but won't be fetched from both. I haven't had problems with
dependencies so far. I won't classify the "held back" packages as
problems, what I mean is that apt-get dist-upgrade completes successfully.

The only time it hasn't completed successfully is when one package depends
on another that isn't installed. In this case, dpkg will return an error
that says it needs the package depended on, but dpkg won't automatically
install it.  Then, like you mentioned in your message, I can simply do an
apt-get install <package> and then rerun the dist-upgrade. This has only
happened a couple of times.

It seems one wouldn't want to exclude the stable source from the sources
list, so are you saying it is not a good idea to include the unstable
source in the list?

Does anyone else include the unstable source in their sources list?

-- Chris
p.s. I apologize for not including Pete's message and for posting the
original question on vox and not vox-tech.