[vox-tech] Re: [vox] how frequently do you apt-get?

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] how frequently do you apt-get?

redirected to vox-tech.

begin: Chris Lupo <lupo@ece.ucdavis.edu> quote
> To the debian users out there, I'm curious how often people update/upgrade
> their systems.

a few times a day.

> I'm also curious how many people go for the testing and
> unstable packages as opposed to the stable ones.

i only take unstable packages when i need them.  for example, when i'm
compiling a program that needs a more recent version of SDL than testing
provides, i grab the unstable package off a debian mirror.

> I've been doing an apt-get dist-upgrade about once every one to two weeks
> (after doing complete (not incremental) backups usually).  My source list
> includes stable, testing and unstable packages.

not sure about this, but i don't think you want to do this.

> I did one Monday of this week and have a question.  Why are a few (3 in my
> case) packages "held back"?  What does that mean?

it can mean one of two things:

1. the package (or a dependency) hasn't been released by the maintainer yet.
it should be installable shortly, like within a day or two.  sometimes a few
days.

2. the new package requires another package which isn't installed on your
system.  if you tried to install, say foo, and it requires bar which isn't on
your system, you might get a message that foo was held back.  to install foo,
try:

apt-get install foo

and it'll automatically install foo and bar.

pete