Re: [vox-tech] Netscape and Public Keys

--- Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> wrote:

> I would lay bets on these three files:
>
> -rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse   352256 Jun  2 13:48 .netscape/cert7.db
> -rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse    16384 Jan 28 23:14 .netscape/key3.db
> -rw-------    1 hajhouse hajhouse    16384 Jul 12 23:05
> .netscape/secmodule.db
>
> According to file(1), these are Berkeley DB hash files, a type of database
> storage. Berkeley DB is the library that reads and writes them. The easiest
> way to study the files would be to use an interface in a high-level language,
> e.g., perl. The perl module is called DB_File; it has a decent manual page.
>
> --
> Henry House
> OpenPGP key available from http://romana.hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc

Yea, that was my thinking as well.  I found that I could unpack these files
into a human-readable form with the command:

[me@mybox ~]$ db1_dump185 -f ~jan/unscrambled.key key3.db

(It worked on the cert7.db and the secmodule.db as well.)

But, openssl uses a key in the PEM format.  Hrm.  Maybe I can do some sort of
conversion from the DB output to the PEM key...  if anyone has done this,
pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the tips, tho Henry...

:)

Jan