[vox-tech] retroactive nohup?

i stupidly started a long process in an xterm.  i'd like to shut down X, but
don't want to lose this process.

is there a way to disconnect a process from pts and have stdout/err piped to
some log file?

kind of like a retroactive "nohup"...

i know screen can do this, but i didn't have the foresight to run screen
either...

pete