Re: [vox-tech] detecting X from within C

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i have a program that has both a gtk and ncurses interface.  i'd like to have
> main() call GTKmain() if the program is run from some kind of xterm.  and of
> course, i'd like NCURSESmain() to execute if the program is run from a console.
>
> i'm clueless about how to check which environment the program is running
> from.  how is this done from C?

The program runs on a host, and your X terminal may be remote from that
host.  Thus, you would have to check something in the environment of your
process on the host, without assuming anything about whether hardware is
local or not..  I would guess that would be the contents of the DISPLAY
environment variable.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing