[vox-tech] Getting around the Winmodem

Hello. I am new to this forum, I hope you'll excuse any inappropriate
remarks / questions.

INTRO:
I am using a Compaq Armada M700 laptop in a dual boot system which has a
WinModem. I am trying to ftp files to my website. If any of you have other
suggestions for how to do so, please feel free to offer, but here is the
kluge I am trying to make work.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
I can't get the Winmodem recognized by Linux (RH 7.0).
I have identified the Windows partition as /dosdisk vfat in /etc/fstab.
I can read and write to /dosdisk from both Linux and Windows.
Unfortunately, when I cp the files to upload them into the correct /dosdisk
subdirectory, all filenames less than 8 characters come out in all CAPS.
I tried mcopy, but the first letter is still Capitolized.
(I can go through and rename each of the files that were modified by the
copy process, but what a pain!)

QUESTIONS:
Anyone know how to maintain filename case (upper vs lower) when writing
from Linux to Windows or where I can review info online?
Anyone have experience making WinModems work with Linux?

Thanks

-- Larry

Larry Ozeran, MD
President & CEO