[vox-tech] Setting up a real environment

[vox-tech] Setting up a real environment

I'm working at a customer, currently all the hardware from the app is hosted
by Accenture (formally Andersen Consulting).  They are starting the planning
of bring it all back in house.  Rough estimate is $1.5 million.  Which would
be 2 HP N-class servers (4 way (PA-RISC), 1.5 gig memory, don't know clock
speed), some sort of disk cabinet (maybe a small EMC or one of HP's AutoRaid
cabinets (crappy raid device if you ask me)), & various win2000 machines and
software.

Anyway, I thought I'd put together an estimate for replacing the HP/EMC
stuff with linux stuff, give it to the CIO as an alternative (hopefully cost
saving and higher performance).

1) Is linux ready for prime time, in the regard they would be running their
financial systems on it
2) Which distro?  Not to start a religious argument!!! They'd need some
telephone support from a company that isn't going out of business
3) What type of equipment could/should I get, both the CPU and the disk.

Thanks
Jay

Jay Strauss
jjstrauss@yahoo.com