Re: [vox-tech] Physical Memory vs. Reported Memory

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 04:29:10PM -0700, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> --- Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:24:23PM -0700, Jim
> > Angstadt wrote:
> > > Another newbie question:
> > >
> > > The hardware memory check during boot reports
> > > 320MB of memory, which is correct.  There are
> > > physical 256MB and 64MB memory modules.  But,
> > > 'free' and 'top' report much less.  Free, with
> > > the 'm' option reports 62MB available.
> > > Top reports about 64MB available.
>
> <snip>
>

> > Do you have "mem=320M" in your /etc/lilo.conf?
> >
> > Micah
>
> Micah, thanks for the help.
>
> I tried adding mem=320M at the lilo boot prompt and it
> worked.  Both 'top' and 'free -h' reported the correct
> amount of memory.
>
> Adding mem=320M in lilo.conf did not work.  And I did
> run /sbin/lilo, which reported syntax errors.

Erg.  I was afraid that was the case.  I shouldn't have been so lazy
and should actually have checked!  :)

> Finally, I added 'append = "mem=320M"' (without the
> single quotes) and it also worked.
>
> The only relevant documentation I found was
>
>   The Linux BootPrompt-HowTo
>   by Paul Gortmaker.
>   v1.2, May 1999

There's /usr/src/linux/Documentation/memory.txt (or whatever the path
is on your system).

> which was available at:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO
> /BootPrompt-HOWTO
>
> (sorry about the line wrap)
>
> There is a very fuzzy, practically unreadable, PDF
> User Guide, version 21, by Werner Almesberger
> @epfl.ch, dated Dec 4, 1998.  Does anyone know of a
> more readable version of this document?
>
> I was disappointed to not find a man lilo entry.  Is
> this a problem with my system?

Must be.  Mine has lilo(1), lilo(8), and lilo.conf(5), at least.

-Micah