Re: [vox-tech] Physical Memory vs. Reported Memory

--- Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:24:23PM -0700, Jim
> Angstadt wrote:
> > Another newbie question:
> >
> > The hardware memory check during boot reports
> > 320MB of memory, which is correct.  There are
> > physical 256MB and 64MB memory modules.  But,
> > 'free' and 'top' report much less.  Free, with
> > the 'm' option reports 62MB available.
> > Top reports about 64MB available.

<snip>

> Do you have "mem=320M" in your /etc/lilo.conf?
>
> Micah

Micah, thanks for the help.

I tried adding mem=320M at the lilo boot prompt and it
worked.  Both 'top' and 'free -h' reported the correct
amount of memory.

Adding mem=320M in lilo.conf did not work.  And I did
run /sbin/lilo, which reported syntax errors.

Finally, I added 'append = "mem=320M"' (without the
single quotes) and it also worked.

The only relevant documentation I found was

  The Linux BootPrompt-HowTo
  by Paul Gortmaker.
  v1.2, May 1999

which was available at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO
/BootPrompt-HOWTO

(sorry about the line wrap)

There is a very fuzzy, practically unreadable, PDF
User Guide, version 21, by Werner Almesberger
@epfl.ch, dated Dec 4, 1998.  Does anyone know of a
more readable version of this document?

I was disappointed to not find a man lilo entry.  Is
this a problem with my system?

Again, thanks for getting me on the right track.

Warm Regards,
Jim