[vox-tech] Physical Memory vs. Reported Memory

[vox-tech] Physical Memory vs. Reported Memory

Another newbie question:

The hardware memory check during boot reports
320MB of memory, which is correct.  There are
physical 256MB and 64MB memory modules.  But,
'free' and 'top' report much less.  Free, with
the 'm' option reports 62MB available.
Top reports about 64MB available.

The documentation 'man top' states:
   'Statistics on memory usage, including total
available memory, ...'.

Which seem to indicate that top is reporting
total physical memory.

My usual questions:

1.  What's going on here?

2.  Do I have a problem and how do I fix it.

3.  Any pointers to online resources would be much
appreciated.

Please see below for output from free and top.
I'm sorry that line wrapping may make it
difficult to read.

Warm Regards,
Jim

------------------------------------

output from: free -m

             total       used       free     shared
buffers     cached

Mem:            62         33         28         49
      2         16

-/+ buffers/cache:         14         48

Swap:          321          0        321

------------------------------------

output from: top -n 1 b

 10:24am  up 44 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.00,
0.00, 0.00

57 processes: 56 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0
stopped

CPU states:  0.8% user,  0.7% system,  0.0% nice,
98.4% idle

Mem:    63940K av,   62060K used,    1880K free,
51356K shrd,    8712K buff

Swap:  329292K av,    4692K used,  324600K free
           26748K cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM
  TIME COMMAND

 1193 root      17   0  1028 1028   812 R     0.9  1.6
  0:00 top

<the rest is snipped>