Re: [vox-tech] Should I buy the debian CDs and where

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'm surprised more people on the list didn't have an opinion.

Ah! All too often, people will pose a question like this and groups of
people from the various camps all chirp in about how their distro is great
and others suck. A lack of voiced opinion does not mean there are no
opinions. Perhaps the readers would prefer to not argue. (We are dealing
with a UDP-like system of data transfer (unreliable) not a TCP-like system
(reliable) so a non-answer does not signify lack of opinion - just lack of
response.

I have used a few different distros, and each has an advantage. To
determine which is "best" requires parameters and an agreed ruler with
which to measure the objective specifications.

-Examples (YMMV):
  I am new to computers. Should I try Debian?
  I have used Windows before, but never done linux. Should I use Debian?
  I am an elite programmer, and kernel developer with a desire to program
additions for Debian. Is the current developmental distro of Debian
something I should use if I want the latest version of glibc loaded as a
package?
  I have tinkered with RedHat, installed a Linux Distro before, and want
to know if a Debian install is something I could do on my own.

Questions like "Should I used XYZ?" are rather odd and difficult to
accurately answer. Some backgound on intentions, purpose, and history with
other similar or related products can help people to make suggestions.

Using a sense of humor:
"Hey, should I shave my dog?"
"Hey, should I glue postage stamps to my forehead and stare at people in
elevators?"
"Hey! Should I dress up a s a penguin this year for haloween and attack
the MS headquarters in Redmond?"

To which, I might answer: Why?, If you really want to!, and Um. Ok?

:-)

As for, "Where to get Debian?" I have just taken to burning my own CDs
from images as needed. I've never bought a copy of Debian, and have no
suggestion for that part. You can download them from their ftp site.

Not-so-seriously,
-ME