Re: [vox-tech] Attempted access -- I think

Matthew Snelham wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2001 10:27 AM or thereabouts, Cam Ellison wrote:

> Yes, those are service names...  but netstat *can* tell you the process
> associated with a given connection:
>
> # netstat -ap --inet
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> PID/Program name
> tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*     LISTEN  14158/httpd
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:domain        *:*     LISTEN  1153/named
> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*     LISTEN  9347/sshd
> tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*     LISTEN  24993/inetd
>
> Very useful. (and easier to read than lsof, IMHO)

Useful, indeed.  Thank you for this.

> discard is a service left over from the old days, much like a network
> /dev/null.  Anything sent to it disappears.  It runs out of inetd usually,
> so you can (and probably should) just comment it out of /etc/inetd.conf

I did that.

> Also, do you export NFS shares from this machine?  If you do not, I
> *strongly* reccomend turning off all of your RPC services. Those daemons are
> just trouble if you don't really need them.  (Under debian, these services
> are controlled by the 'nfs-common', 'nfs-user-server', and 'portmap'
> entries in /etc/init.d/)

I assume it comes from portmap, because I do not have nfs enabled, and
naturally those executables don't appear in /etc/init.d/

So that takes care of that.

Thank you again.  Between you and Jeff, this has been most edifying.

And I like your quote from the Entarteur Extraordinaire

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.