January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] setting up a linux based web server using residental DSL

Re: [vox-tech] setting up a linux based web server using residental DSL

Since we have been discussing security lately, I would also discourage
the use of a hub in favor of a switch.  One host can easily sniff
packets from another host across a hub.  Switches have come down in
price and are not much more if any in cost than a hub.  Switches also
give the benefit of having dedicated bandwidth to each port.

Stephen
Todays security tip has been brought to you by the letters N, S and A
http://www.nsa.gov/winsecurity/win2k/download.htm  (originally posted on
slasdot).

Jay Strauss wrote:

> I'd say start of small, just implement a NAT (network address translation)
> box, with a firewall.  This computer will attach to the internet and a hub.
> >From the hub you can connect multiple computers, all sharing your internet
> connection (thru the NAT machine).

{snip}