Re: [vox-tech] setting up a linux based web server using residental DSL

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 10:19:20PM -0700, Michael Vennari wrote:
> I am gathering information on setting up a Linux based web and e-mail server
> using residential DSL service.  I am a newbie to Linux so bear with me.  I guess
> my first question is if anyone knows about a commercial release of Red Hat called
> "Super Auk DSL" http://www.wholelinux.com/index.html  They claim ease of use for
> newbies like myself thru web based "wizard" type configuration and their software
> includes a firewall, router, etc and can run a LAN using only one static IP address.
> What are the advantages/disadvantages to using a software package like this?  If I
> choose to install a generic version of Linux myself and do all the configuration for
> such a setup, how long will this take me and how much do I need to know?  Can anyone
> direct me to "step-by-step" information on this subject?

There are many products that attempt, with varying degrees of success, to
hide the complexities of Linux and its apps using GUI control panels,
wizards, etc. This has the advantage that if your need are simple, you can
get a server running in minutes with little learning required.

I don't like this approach for a few reasons.

1. You won't have any clue when something goes wrong. If you had read the
HOWTO and tweaked the configuration yourself, you would at least know where
to start looking.

2. If your need are not routine the GUI tols can't help you, even though
Linux and the server daemons can do what you want.

3. GUI tools commonly create insecure configurations.

Networking and server administration are inherently complex. Sorry. The good
news is that it WILL make sense after you do a little reading. I recommend:

        http://linuxdoc.org

Look under HOWTOs (how-to guides on a particular topic, such as private networks). Most
HOWTOs follow a step-by-step format with some background so that you understand that
steps that you are following.

If you still want lots of wizards and GUI tools, I recomment Linux Mandrake.
This is a complete Linux distribution. There are copies in the LUGOD library,
which I maintain.

--
Henry House