Re: [vox-tech] If I was to install debian

Re: [vox-tech] If I was to install debian

begin: Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com> quote
> Ok, I understand.  2.2.23 is stable.  But why aren't they using the new
> 2.4.5 kernel?  Or are they (debian), but their release number doesn't have
> anything to do with the kernel version?

i have a potato system, and it's using 2.2.14 (it's r2).

frankly, i'm really not sure why debian is using 2.2 kernels.  maybe henry
can answer that one.   i do know that a lot of testing goes on before a
package makes it into the stable distribution; so debian (stable) packages
tend to be older than their redhat/mandrake/suse/.* counterparts.   but they
also tend to be more stable.  you'd NEVER see the redhat gcc fiasco happen
with debian.

but i have to admin, 2.2.23 is kinda old.   i'm stumped on that one.

pete

ps- sid packages are just as bleeding edge as everyone else; actually more
bleeding edge than everyone else, since they're built as soon (theoretically)
as an author releases a new version or bug release of his/her softwarre.

i've never run sid; woody has been very good to me.