Re: [vox-tech] If I was to install debian

Re: [vox-tech] If I was to install debian

jay, not quite.

kernel versions are divided into 3 numbers.   the most recent stable version
is 2.4.5:

   2   is called the version
   4   is called the patchlevel
   5   is called the sublevel

when the *patchlevel* is odd, it's a beta kernel; when the patchlevel is
even, it's a stable kernel.

the sublevel can be anything in beta or stable.

also, realize that when you're talking about "stable" in kernel development,
it doesn't mean that anything that's not stable is "unstable", as in it
crashes; this is a common misconception.

stable / unstable refers to the code that goes into the kernel.  a stable
kernel is a codebase that doesn't change.   an unstable kernel codebase is
one which has new features going into it with each sublevel.

pete

begin: Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com> quote