Re: [vox-tech] can you run it faster for my 110 program?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] can you run it faster for my 110 program?
  • From: Nicole Carlson <nMAPSmcarlson@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:32:14 -0700

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>        if your professor considers it cheating, don't do it here.
>        if your professor doesn't consider it cheating, do it here.
> that's all i ask.  use common sense.  if you have no idea, then ask your
> professor if it's ok.
> nicole, your a cs grad, right?  do you have any words of wisdom for us?

Actually, I'm with you, Pete.  Policies on cheating vary so widely that
there's no hard-and-fast rule, and the university wisely defines
"cheating" more or less as whatever the professor defined it as on the
syllabus.  Some professors foam at the mouth at the very thought of asking
even other students, let alone people unaffiliated with the university.
Some adopt a halfway stance: you can discuss design, but you can't compare
code or discuss specific coding issues.  Others figure help from most any
source is good, and learning where and how to seek help is a valuable
professional skill.
(Aside: AFAICT, Sean Davis would fit more into the latter group--he's a
professional programmer, an all 'round cool guy, and his pragmatic view of
what's relevant to a professional programmer is neatly illustrated by the fact
that he grades on code efficiency at all.)

As far as the more general problem of homework help on vox-tech goes, I
don't think it's LUGOD's job to make sure that there's no academic
cheating going on on vox-tech.  College students are grownups and, darn it,
if they're stupid enough to risk expulsion, that's their lookout.  I say
we leave it up to the student: if a question gets posted to vox or
vox-tech, then we get to assume that the questioner has permission to ask
that question.  In addition to that hard-and-fast rule, we can try to
encourage students to phrase questions less in terms of specific code
and more in terms of whatever problem the code is supposed to solve.  No
one wants to see students asking questions like "The professor wants
us to explain $blah.  What's the answer to this?", no matter what the
professor thinks.  But an honest question pops up that happens to have
some relevance to schoolwork--well, we're here to help each other learn,
right?

--nicole twn

***
"It's easy to confuse love with subatomic particles bursting in the
air."--from "Due South"